Matthew T. Mayr, M.D.
- Surgical and non-surgical treatment of spinal disorders
- Surgical management of primary and metastatic tumors of the brain and spine
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery, diskectomies, fusions and instrumentation
- Complex spinal surgery
- Artificial disc replacements for cervical disc disease
- Kyphoplasty for compression fractures from osteoporosis or tumor
Dr. Mayr specializes in neurosurgical techniques and procedures of the spine, spinal cord and peripheral nerves, tumors and traumatic brain injury.
He earned his undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins, then went on to graduate from Yale Medical School and complete his residency at Emory Medical School. Dr. Mayr also served in the United States Navy as a neurosurgeon after 9-11.
His interests include the latest operative and non-operative treatments of spinal disorders with emphasis on minimally invasive approaches. He has special interest in minimally invasive spinal surgery. Aside from being very successful, these methods reduce the risks of damage to structures nearby the spine, which tends to shorten patient recovery time and allow quicker return to daily routine.
Neurosurgical Associates, P.C, Richmond, Virginia
Current Hospital Affiliations
- CJW Medical Center
- Henrico Doctors Hospital
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Johnston Willis Hospital
- Memorial Regional Medical Center
Virginia Medical License
American Board of Neurological Surgeons
Emory University School of Medicine
• Residency, Department of Neurosurgery
• Intern, Department of Surgery
Yale University School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
John Hopkins University
Bachelor of Arts with Honors